Author Topic: Directory is not in alphabetical order  (Read 4650 times)

Picture-Directory.com Tech Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Directory is not in alphabetical order
« on: June 17, 2013, 07:58:38 PM »
I'm working on a new directory for church and haven't really changed much from the last one but when I print it is not printing in alphabetical order.  Any suggestions?

There have been two situations where your directory does not print in alphabetical order.

The first is if you are printing a PDF file and using certain PDF printing software seems to cause the problem.  If you are not printing a "PDF" directory I would suggest you check the size of your photos.  We recommend having the photos about 50 KB in size.  Please review the tutorial video about resizing photos.

kphillips

• View Profile
Re: Directory is not in alphabetical order
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:04:23 PM »
I am having the exact same problem.  It is adding any additions to the list at the end of the page.  Yet on one previous occassion, it printed the new entry in the correct order, but I made a text change to one of the users and now it will not print alphabetcially on a new user I added.

Picture-Directory.com Tech Support

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 01:10:22 AM »
There can be a number of reasons why your directory does not print in alphabetic order.  We will need to go through some items to see what is causing the problem.  The most common one that I have found is your photos are very large.  They should be in the area of 50KB.  If they are about 1 meg that is too large and causes the directory to be out of order.  Please check them and let me know what size they are.

zaniew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 03:55:31 PM »
Like the original poster, I tried to print a photo directory on which "not much has changed" since two years ago, and the output is in messed up alpha order. 

The response indicated "certain PDF software" may be to blame, along with photo size.

Questions: 
Which PDF software program is preferable?  Although mine worked two years ago...and I'm not sure why that would make a difference.
Secondly, same idea, some of my photo files two years ago were large but they printed in alpha order before.  With changes in membership, some of these have been deleted.  Some new files were added, but I am pretty sure I have resized all larger ones into smaller format.  So I'm not sure why I can't print in alpha order this year.
Lastly, I see a GEFC directory software upgrade is available.  Have you found this addresses the alpha problem?
Is it worthwhile in any event?